24 November 2005

It Is Right To Give Thanks and Praise (CS)

No doubt that today we will be hit by a deluge of "thankful" lists from various publications, bloggers, television shows, and whatnot. Against instinct, I've decided to join the fray.

Two categories from which I think it's useful to select things to be thankful for are "things we usually take for granted" and "things that totally took us by surprise" Mine would look something like this:

Things We Usually Take for Granted
-- Family, Friends, Good Fortune (if you're reading this, you probably have it. Whether you believe it or not)
-- Hockey. It's back.
-- Technology (including and especially robots). TIME magazine's recent "inventions of the year" issue had several pages on robots that totally blew me away.
-- Pumpkin Pie. King of Pies.
-- Monkeys. 'Nuff said, right?
-- "The Little Things." For me this would include the Sights/Smells of Autumn/Winter, History stuff (yes, I am a nerd), Cussing (yes, I am thankful for "fuck" and "shit"), Miko the dog (definitely a "little thing"), Guzz the cat (little thing going on big thing), animals in general, Ghostbusters on the TV, and The General Craziness that is New York (as well as the General Craziness that is New Jersey).

Things That Totally Took Us By Surprise
-- Pumpkin Ale from Brooklyn Brewery. Damn I love this season
-- Downfall of the Bush Administration (sorry, couldn't help myself)
-- A Bill and Ted boxed Set (you're next, Dr. Jones)
-- Captain America becoming my favorite monthly, once again (as of issues #11 and #12)
-- The Rangers having a competitive team!
-- And because I didn't make this list last year, Not Having An Appendix Anymore.

Oh, also thankful that I can occasionally get away with ending a sentence with a preposition. Know what i'm talkin about?
Bonus Points to anyone who recognizes where this post's title is from.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

catholic mass?

11/24/2005 1:31 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

you win the prize, anonymous!

11/24/2005 7:13 PM  
Blogger Brendan said...

Actually, I believe it's from "Have I Told You Lately" by Rod Stewart.

11/24/2005 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home